Sunday, February 6, 2011

Washing all of your vintage goodies


vintage wardrobe
These are a few techniques  I have learned from my mom her herself dosen’t wear vintage clothing but she’s been a reseller for a while now and I watch her and ask her so many questions (it kind of irritates her lol) But they are helpful. But please remember  some fabrics and garments may look washable, but they’re not. It is important to learn how to identify delicate garments. Even  some cleanings will 'fail' when cleaned, and may not be saved (tear) . Select pieces carefully, and learn how to work with vintage clothes. It is worth the try!!
Vintage clothing can actually become vary wrinkled  after a wash or wearing the piece.  Learning how to maintain those wrinkles is the best way to keep that garment as spiffy as possible.
Washing- Clothing that tailored or is delicate should be dry cleaned. Also avoid washing dark colors or shiny rayons and pieces with loose or raveling seam allowances anywhere on the garment. First thing is test a small piece of the fabric. It is also important to check the  lining, and may be easier if the piece goes to the dry cleaners.



1.For hand washing  cold water and baby shampoo should be used wash in a bowl or bucket then hand the dripping wet dress there. Rinse out the soap after hand washing and hang up the garment to dip dry.
2.If your using a washing machine then select a gentle cycle and cold water. You should test your machine with a piece that is simple. To make sure that the speed  isn’t hard on the fabric and seams. You also may want to pull it out before the spin cycle, because this can make tight wrinkles in the fabric.  Then do the same last step as hand washing.
                                                         
                                                                         Next up - Pressing and then storing

3 comments:

  1. Using baby shampoo is a great idea! I never would have thought of that on my own

    ReplyDelete
  2. any tips for leather skirt - I always bring mine to the cleaing shop but this cost me more then the skirt itself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bett2tone- I hope it works it usually does for me.

    Sueper- I asked my mom but she says that she doesn't know how to clean it. But I went online and found you a site that shows How to clean leather I hope its helpful!! Click for Link

    ReplyDelete